Search This Blog

Saturday 5 November 2022

The Gospel according to Mario Kart Part 1: Super Mario Kart (When life knocks you down)


 

When everything's going smoothly, there isn't a cloud in the sky, nothings bothering you and life seems to be going well...then all of a sudden you have a 'red shell' moment... something unexpected and definitely unwelcome happens, you're made redundant, or you suffer a loss, anything like that...what's your initial reaction? Do you get angry? Do you blame others or yourself for your circumstances? Do you blame God and shout at him? The final question is, as Christians how should we react? How should we move forward?


Basing the initial idea for this post on a video game, may seem a little strange. And admittedly it's kind of derivative of those old 'gospel according to...' books that seemed to be all the rage a few years ago, like the Simpsons and Disney, I think there was a superhero one as well. But hey, stick with me. This is my rambling and personal take on the idea...I find inspiration in strange places and I think it's good sometimes to think outside the box. Inspiration and encouragement can be found anywhere if we look hard enough.


This is the first in a planned 4 part series looking at the lessons and biblical truths that we can learn from some of the main Mario Kart games... perhaps a little out there, but stick with me.


I've got a real thing for video games. Especially retro games. I always love it when I get to combine my love of video games, or Star Trek or any of the other strange stuff I'm into with matters of faith and religion, even better when those things let me look at biblical truths from a different angle and learn new things from them.



What is Mario Kart?

the original Mario Kart, released on the Super Nintendo console in 1992, may not have all the bells and whistles of the later games, but I do have a soft spot for it. It wasn't quite the first kart racer, but it really defined this kind of game, and it's just loads of fun to play.


Just to backtrack a little for anyone not familiar with the game series (where have you been?)

The Mario Kart series, is a racing game featuring some of Nintendo's most popular characters, the characters race around on go karts (hence the name) later games added motorbikes, and prams, barrels, rockets and so on. There are a huge amount of items, weapons and power-ups; some that make you go faster, slow others down, make others crash or spin off the tracks...it's almost as famous for causing arguments as monopoly.


Running the race

You may already be questioning where I'm going with all this. I originally planned a simple post based around the well known verses about running the race Hebrews, Galatians, Corinthians, Paul in particular seemed to like using the race analogy, but the old testament is full of references to races as well; Jeremiah, Joel, Samuel and the Psalms to name a few.


But that's not really where I felt led to, while planning this post. Mario Kart and those games like it, aren't like normal racing games or any other real world race. Normally you'd expect the best racer to win, the one that's spent the most time practicing. And yes that is part of it, but the items and weapons I mentioned above, as well as obstacles and traps on the game's tracks add a real element of chance. This is where it's reputation for causing arguments comes from...often you can find yourself way ahead of the pack, then just before the finish line, you get hit with a red turtle shell that hunts you down and is very difficult to avoid...then you suddenly end up in last place and depending on whether or not you're a good loser you might have something to say about that...




Our own 'Red shell' moments



I've been pondering, as I often do, and it jumped into my head that getting hit by sudden nasty surprises like that, that totally derail our plans, sometimes send us spiraling in a different direction or cause us to lose our cool can often be a part of everyday life...from an unexpected redundancy, bereavement, illness, even floods and other natural disasters.


Sometimes when these things happen we look for someone or something to blame. If it's a video game like Mario Kart, we look for whichever of our friends or the computer characters (who definitely cheat of course) let the weapon fly, or crashed into us, or even just happened to be better at the game than us. and it can cause tension particularly if you're so close to winning and had it snatched away from you at the last second.


I know something of what that's like, which I'll go into pretty briefly, maybe it needs its own post one day...a few years ago I applied to become a full time minister. After what felt like a long time of doing everything that was expected of me, and working really hard on my personal development, putting my whole self into the process, probably more than I've ever applied myself to anything, and putting my whole self worth on the line I was rejected. it's still something that holds me back at times, that every now and again I still think about...I could blame the panel that made the decision, the way the news was delivered, lack of aftercare. I could blame those that mentored and prepared me (I don't, I was lucky . I could blame myself (and sometimes I do). At the time and occasionally now I still briefly and subconsciously look around for someone to blame, including myself. The truth is that perhaps I simply wasn't ready, or it wasn't the right time, or I'm not a right fit. It doesn't really matter I suppose. The point is that I felt really close to achieving something that I really wanted. I believed the assessment was virtually a formality, I probably was a little arrogant. It was my finish line knock back, and it hurt, and set me back. But I'm determined not to let it dictate how I move forward. Maybe one day I'll try again, maybe I won't, but whatever, I can't let a setback or frustration or anger hold me back from whatever God wants me to be and to do. 


I'm sure at some point or another, to a greater or lesser degree, we've all been hit by a finish line knock back; By a red shell smacking into us when we've least expected it. Whatever it was that knocked you off course, big or small, it's so important (but incredibly difficult) not to play the blame game, and look for somebody to shout at and argue with, even ourselves, even God...it's really easy for me to say, I know that I don't know your individual circumstances, how big that red shell was, how much it affects you. but I do know the feeling of having something holding you down, making you fearful of trying again, but that's no way to live. And you'll miss out on all the wonderful things that God can do through you.


God isn't done with us yet


We have a God who cares about our futures, and doesn't want us held back from reaching our potential. And from being the very best version of ourselves.


Here's a couple of key quotes from the batman begins movie that are really appropriate here (and give me an excuse to quote a batman movie, which is always good.)


Alfred Pennyworth : "Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Bruce Wayne : You still haven't given up on me?

Alfred Pennyworth : Never."


Alfred Pennyworth : "I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with your past, sir. Just know that there are those of us who care about what you do with your future."


That's a promise, and a conversation that I can really imagine God having with us. And a conversation that I would have with you...God won't give up on you, no matter how much you may have given up on yourself. He cares about you, your present and your future. If you're struggling and can't find that faith in yourself, please be assured that God has faith in you.


But let me be real for a moment, as Rocky said in Rocky Balboa (sorry for more movie quotes but it really fits and is just a great quote);

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"


It's rarely quick or easy to get over a red shell moment. It's rarely easy to forgive those that we blame for our misfortunes or failures, it's often even harder to forgive ourselves. It takes time and real effort to heal, and move forward. It takes honesty with ourselves, it involves soul searching and prayer, and it involves turning to others for help, something that I really struggle with. That may be a friend, a minister a mentor, perhaps even a counsellor or other professional. There is no shame, absolutely none, in turning to others for help, in fact I see it as a sign of strength and courage.


But to quote Alfred Pennyworth again, as above:

"I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with your past, sir. Just know that there are those of us who care about what you do with your future."


All these times we suffer or get knocked back can in a strange way become a positive thing.


Romans 5:3-4 seems really appropriate here:

"Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,"


I can't really unpack that verse any better than it unpacks itself...it's a great truth; it also happens to be one of the verses that I find kind of irritating. Achieving all it's promises is great, and honourable and all that; but it seems so simple when written down and layed out like that. It really isn't...but the reward both for the kingdom of God on earth,  our place in it, and for ourselves personally if we can achieve it, is immeasurable.


If you persevere, and move forward, trust in God, forgive others, even more importantly forgive yourself. Through self reflection, prayer and with time, you will find your purpose and your victory. It may very well not take the form you want or expect it to, but you will find it, and in doing so, you'll find peace and fulfilment.


A final word.

I thought I'd give the final word to the song 'Wake up O sleeper' by Graham Kendrick. This version Is sung by the Salvation Army's International staff songsters: https://youtu.be/Cd3nHW_ueIo


Wake up O sleeperAnd rise from the dead

And Christ will shine on you

Wake up O sleeper

And rise from the dead

And Christ will shine on you


Once you were darkness

But now you are light

Now you are light in the Lord

So as true children of light you must live

Showing the glory of God


This is the beautiful fruit of the light

The good, the righteous, the true

Let us discover what pleases the Lord

In everything that we do


As days get darker take care how you live

Not as unwise but as wise

Making the most

Of each moment he gives

And pressing on for the prize






I would love to hear your feedback and comments on this blog, and of course feel free to sign up with your email address to avoid missing new posts (if viewing on a mobile device you may need to click on 'view web version')



Please like and share the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Inspired-by-Faith-640803452678981/


Take a look at Inspired by Faith on Twitter: (@InspiredFaith88): https://twitter.com/InspiredFaith88?s=09



Disclaimer: the opinions and comments expressed in this blog are personal and do not necessarily represent the views and policies of the Salvation Army

No comments :

Post a Comment